- Do not wear cotton
- It can be windy this time of the year - always have a windbreaker in your pack
- Carry extra layers so you keep warm
- Carry warm gloves in your pack
- It can snow anytime now in Mt. Charleston. Check the forecast before your hike
- Watch for ice! When the temps drop below freezing in Red Rock, there might be ice. Ice can turn class 1 into a death fall!
- Red Rock Scenic Loop will close at 5 pm starting November 1st
- By early December it will be getting dark around 4:30 pm
- Always carry a headlamp or flashlight in your pack. Check it often to make sure it works.
- Carry a balaclava in your pack. It will keep your head warm.
- Most hikers do not drink as much water when it's cold.
Tuesday, October 30, 2012
Hiking in Cooler Weather
Quick tips for hiking in cooler weather:
Posted by Branch Whitney at 8:24 AM