Monday, September 5, 2011

The Secrets to Not Being Sore the Day After a Tough Hike


  • Immediately after the hike go to a hot tub or Jacuzzi. This is especially good for the bottom of your feet, and of course, other muscles, mainly your leg muscles.
  • After the Jacuzzi, stretch and I mean for 15 minutes or longer, not some quick two minute routine. Most of the stretches are for legs.
  • The following day get some light exercise. Walking on a treadmill is great and it's easy on your knees and feet. The human body needs movement.
I go to the Las Vegas Athletic Club where they have a great Jacuzzi and stretching cages. I spend about 30 to 45 minutes total (Jacuzzi and stretching). The next day I feel much looser. When I don't do this, I feel tight.
I normally don't get sore, but a lot of people do after a tough hike. If you go into the Jacuzzi and stretch, you will feel better.

I don't do this after an easy hike. It takes time and I feel I don't need to do this if the hike was easy. I listen to my body and you should do the same.

Yesterday (9-4-2011), we did a 20 mile hike with 6000+ feet of elevation gain. A lot of it was off trail. The hike took 12 hours and I was tired after the hike, but I went to the gym, took a Jacuzzi, and then stretched. Today I feel pretty good, especially after a light workout. I could hike today, but are there any places to hike around Las Vegas :)