Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Best Hike in the Sierra: North Face of Lone Pine Pk???


Okay, I will admit I am bias. Last summer as I was hiking in the Sierra with Davis and Tom, I saw a possible route up the North Face of Lone Pine Peak. Later in the summer I returned with Ed, Luba, and Mark to try this route. As we took a break and I stared at the imposing north face of Lone Pine Peak, I thought to myself: This does not look easy! Although as others were mumbling the same thing, I pretended not to hear them and off we went. WHAT A GREAT ROUTE! It was over 2,000 feet of class 2 to class 4 scrambling on solid rock! We topped out less than 100 yards from the summit. The views are fantastic! They say a photo is worth a thousand words. I wonder how many words a panorama is worth? Here's why I think this is one of the best routes in the Sierra:
1. Short approach on an established, but seldom used trail - no permits.
2. 2000 feet of solid rock to scramble up
3. Great views from the summit
4. An easy descent via the standard route.
Slide show of the hike.
Do you have a favorite route in the Sierra? Let's know by posting a comment.
Members can download this hike now.

No comments:

Post a Comment