Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Gryptonite - An Alternative to Stealth Rubber?

If you hike in Vasque boots, you are familiar with Stealth rubber. It sticks to the rock, period! Many of us only hike with Stealth rubber boots. I just read about a new type of sticky rubber called Gryptonite that sounds interesting. Hiking boots from Montrail use Gryptonite. I have not tried any boots with Gryptonite, but the reviews on MountainGear's web site are impressive.
Here's a link to a sale on Montrail boots with Gryptonite. The reviews are on the same page.
Also, the boots are on sale!!! Please post a reply if you have hiked in boots with Gryptonite.
More information about Gryptonite.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Branch,
    This is Mike from yesterday's Mescalito hike. I came across your blog from the link someone put up in the meetup photo gallery. Do you still recommend the shoes with Stealth Rubber you were telling Jen and I about over this new Gryptonite? Also, is it normal for a regular person to be very sore in the feet the next day? I couldn't imagine doing that hike again today, or any hike for that matter until all this soreness goes away after a few days at least. I appreciate any insight you may be able to offer. Thanks for leading us yesterday! You can email me at dax702 AT cox DOT net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike,

    I have worn shoes with Stealth Rubber for years now and highly recommend them. I do not have any experience with Gryptonite, but a friend recently bought shoes with Gryptonite soles. He has only done one hike with them. So far he likes them.
    If you are not used to hiking with a lot of scrambling, then your feet will be sore. The soreness will go away in a few days.

    ReplyDelete