Sunday, April 5, 2015

Ice Box Peak To Bridge Mtn. Route

IMO, the best route to Bridge Mtn is via Ice Box Peak. This is a hardcore route. I have done it several times over the last 15 years. In the past I have always dreaded the return hike, since the route back up to Ice Box Peak was loose and brushy. This has now changed!

Recently, I did this hike and found the route from the wash aka The Maze to Ice Box Peak is well cairned, all solid sandstone and no brush! In the past it was virtually impossible to find a good route back up to Ice Box Peak, because it was hard to tell when to leave the wash. I now know the secret and I will share it with you.

The photo below tells the story. About 40 yards past the dead tree you will come to the Ponderosa Pine marked with the red arrow. Turn left here and follow cairns all the way to Ice Box Peak. It's only class 1 and 2 scrambling! The only loose section is just below the peak and it is very short.

Click to enlarge

Descending From Ice Box Peak to Bridge Mtn

The loose section, I wrote about in the above paragraph, might be eliminated. Here's how: From Ice Box Peak retrace the route until you can make a sharp turn back to the north and connect with the route to Bridge Mtn. I will try this the next time  I hike to Ice Box Peak.

No comments:

Post a Comment