Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Google Earth: Greatest Hiking Tool Ever or Fun Toy?

Most hikers I am sure have looked at Google Earth. It's a neat tool, but I do not see how it's going to help hikers while hiking. Here's why: You will never get that overhead view that Google Earth gives you. When hiking you are on the ground, not overhead looking down on the route.

Secondly, the resolution is not that great. I swear it was better a few years ago. I am using v. 5.1.3535.3218 built April 14th 2010.

Now, Google Earth can be helpful to identify roads leading to obscure trailheads and it can give you an overview of the route, but to find specific chutes and ledges forget it.

As many of you know I have found some of the wildest routes in Red Rock. I have never used Google Earth or a GPS to help me find routes. I do photograph the terrain and look at the photos before going on the hike. I have found "reading the land" is the best method. No worries about batteries, weak signals, or malfunctions.

Do you agree with me? Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment